Monday, May 24, 2010

Gardening/Landscaping

Here are some pictures of our flower gardens & landscaping around our house. I don't know the names of everything, but I do know most of what I have planted! :-)
Here are my tomato & pepper plants waiting to be planted.
There is a story behind these plants.....Two Easters ago, my mom (as she does every year) bought our church an Easter lily for Easter Sunday. She told me to take it when it was done blooming and to plant it in my garden. Well, I brought it home from church and set it on the sidewalk, fully intending to plant it asap. Well, as things go, by the time I looked at it again it was dead...dead as a doornail. Well, I felt guilty and planted it anyway. At least I could tell my mom that I really did plant it. Well, would you believe it? A few months later I see two little green things popping through the dirt. The one lily turned into two and I had Easter lilies during the summer! This year, those two turned in to five and as you can see, I did plant this year's lilies right away! :-)

Jeff planted these in this neat planter on our garage for me.

Not sure what exactly these are. They look like irises or lilies of some sort. I just know that there are a LOT of them. I'm not sure I love the color of these, though. They almost look like they're dying the first day they bloomed because they have a brown tinge at the edge.


My hostas - they are hostas, right? :-)

Now I KNOW that this is a lilac. Another story....a dear lady in our church gave me a baby lilac two years ago. I was so excited and was thrilled to have it. Last summer, AJ was helping me to weed my gardens and he came over and said, "Mom, look at this HUGE weed!" :-( It was my lilac!!! :-( He just yanked it right out like a weed. I sadly replanted it with little hope that it would survive such horrible treatment! :-) So Mrs. Thompson gave me a couple more little lilacs this year. While I was watching Jeff dig the hole to plant them, I looked over to the side and there was that dear, old lilac doing just fine. Well, half doesn't have leaves, but what do you expect?? :-)

Have no idea what this is, but it's nice and green with pretty little purple flowers.

Here is Jeff's new Heron. He said that he's always wanted one. It looks so nice in our garden. He had to anchor it down in hopes that the neighbourhood thieves would be unsuccessful in stealing it!

I need to fill in here maybe with some annuals.

Our front door, obviously!

My lilies of the valley - they smell SO good.



My mom gave me this pretty flower for Mother's Day. I love these flowers so much.

Even Lily was getting in the gardening spirit.

Happy Girl! Luke, AJ, Victoria & Austin were all at my parents' house for the weekend, so Lily enjoyed following us around helping out with the gardening.

My brand new peony bush. I sure hope it doesn't die. I had a peony a few years back, but it died. I am thinking of getting some pansies for those little spots around the perimeter. Also thinking about what I might put in the center along with the peony....any suggestions very welcome.

A close up of my peony.

Our pretty shed with its freshly painted door and trim.



Some of the cherries on our cherry tree. I'm hoping that they'll be edible. Usually the worms get them, but Jeff sprayed the trees this year.

Lily was "helping" with some tree trimming.

I love this little well that I've had for almost 9 years. A man in the church where we went in Ohio made it for me for my birthday one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment